Vegan • Gluten free • Sugar-free
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
– 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
– 2 medium-sized brown onions, thinly sliced
– 2 garlic cloves, sliced
– 1 tsp ground cumin
– 1 tsp ground cloves
– 1/2 tsp turmeric
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– 3 tbsp curry powder
– 2 tsp ground ginger
– 1 tsp black mustard seeds
– 1 large aubergine cut into 2.5 cm cubes
– 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained
– 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
– 1 cup water
– 30-50ml Organic apple cider vinegar
– salt and black pepper to season
– 20g fresh coriander, optional
1. Heat the oil in a large pot on a medium heat. Add the onions, cover with the lid and allow to sweat for 2 minutes until they become soft.
2. Add the garlic and all spices, cook for 1-2 minutes stirring continuously until the spices become very aromatic. Add the aubergine and chickpeas and stir for 1 minute to coat with spices.
3. Add the tinned tomatoes, water and apple cider vinegar, fold in, reduce the heat slightly and allow to simmer uncovered for 20 minutes stirring occasionally (or until the aubergine has softened).
4. Season to taste, then remove from the heat, fold in the coriander (optional) and serve with rice, papadoms, naan, yoghurt or on its own.